today is LOVE YOUR BODY DAY (sponsored by the NOW foundation) and even though i'm not too happy with mine right now, i still love it because i'm the only one that has it... sounds weird but think about it for a minute—sure, someone might have the same shape or size but it's your personality, your attitude, your confidence, your determination, and your inner-strength that makes you different... unlike some people, i don't see it as just a physical thing because learning to accept yourself is just the first step...
after struggling with my weight for so many years, it really wasn't until a few years ago that i began to accept who i had become and embrace what my body was capable of doing... though losing weight was a big part of the equation, it was really being able to accept that i will never be who the person i was in high school or college... yea, it would be great to weigh 140 again but seriously - i'm 37 and my body has changed so why struggle? why not learn to love the body i have today - the one that ran a 5K, or lifts weights, or goes for long walks, or takes a spin class? why compare myself to someone else when that shouldn't even be part of the equation? it shouldn't be an option, in my opinion, because YOU need to live your life and no one else...
here are a few things (from the website) that you can do:
- indulge in your own terms - love your tastebuds
- stretch your mind and your body - rejuvenate and care yourself
- read - expand your mind
- throw a private party - take a day for yourself and yourself only
- laugh out loud - humor is the best medicine
- have safe sex - enjoy being w/someone
- spend time with your family - nurture your close relationships
- listen to positive music - develop a theme song
- develop a creative outlook - express daily stress/frustrations creatively
happy hump day...