lazy weekend

i can't remember the last time i took a nap - being my head is too hard to turn off sometimes, i was surprised that on saturday afternoon, i dozed for about 3 hours... being it was cold outside, i decided to try some new recipes too: chicken, peanut soup (rachael ray) and oatmeal, cranberry muffins (discovery health) - both were quite yummy... i had off on friday so i slept-in and then did my C25K outside - it was quite cold but i did it anyway and was quite proud of myself... then i hung out w/my mom for a while, picked up norman from eric's, had dinner, and then watched what not to wear behind the seams with stacy and clinton - i love them! sunday, i did my C25K on the treadmill and then went to church with mom, it was snowing when we went in and when we came out - talk about crazy weather! eric got home from pittsburgh (his dad is home from rehab) around 5:00 and we hung out for the rest of the night - watched both premiers of the sopranos and entourage... :o)

pastaqueen had a great post yesterday regarding the word 'diet' and i felt compelled to comment... i've followed 2 diets in my life: weight watchers and atkins, and both showed results when followed precisely... i never looked at the word 'diet' as bad but did know it meant something temporary and not long-term, even back then... but isn't that what we want at first, when we want to lose weight? we want it off fast and we want it off now... when i stopped doing atkins, i gained the weight back... when i stopped doing WW, i gained the weight back but its not because the diet failed me - i failed the diet... i got sick of it and felt like i needed a break but in reality, i was tired of the diet and became lazy...

honestly, i think the correct term should be 'plan' - these plans are there to help guide us in the direction, show us how to make better choices, and how to live a healthier life... it's up to US to use what we've learned and to apply it to our daily lives - regardless of what plan we're following... i give credit to anyone that has lost a huge amount of weight and kept it off, whether by sticking to a well-known plan OR by doing it on their own... that is a huge accomplishment and they have much to be applauded for, so is the word 'diet' really bad - IF it works and IF it makes us healthier in the long run? i'm a bit torn on this subject, what about you?

happy tuesday...


Kim L  – (10:56 AM)  

I think of it as a lifestyle choice. All it is is semantics. If it works for you, call it whatever you want.

Sizzle  – (12:02 PM)  

i don't use the word diet. it sets me up to fail.

Anonymous –   – (12:47 PM)  

so true what the word diet means to anyone who hears it, especially us who are on a diet. Funny that at my Weight Watcher meeting last night my leader mentioned yet again that it is not a diet we are on but a lifestyle change and we are just following the program to get us there, I thought that was very true. We have to make changes we can live with for the rest of our lives....who knows maybe we will be blogging each other that long too :)

Eileen  – (1:47 PM)  

Great post, thank you!
I think you're spot on with plan versus diet. I think that's the difference for me this time. I've done diets before and like you, gain back when I quit working at it. This time - it's all about the plan - thoughtful, mindful eating and making better choices. The other important component is being ready and willing to make the changes necessary to succeed.

Chris H  – (4:32 PM)  

I don't believe the word "diet" is bad or good, it's just a word... how you feel about it is an individual thing.... I prefer thinking I'm on a Lifestyle change.. for life.

Marathon Someday  – (4:34 PM)  

The word diet feels so restrictive and temporary - you're right, it's more of a plan. I always like to think of it as "watching what I eat".

Kim  – (11:14 PM)  

That's so crazy how this "diet" debate showed up in so many of our blogs this week!!

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Never underestimate the power of a good nap!! :)

Living to Feel Good  – (4:12 AM)  

I think of it as a lifestyle change too, but I like plan better than diet.

Way to go on the C25K!!

Greta  – (9:58 AM)  

Good for you to take a nap! I took one on Sunday too and it was AWESOME!
And thanks for the 24 comment- once I watched the rest of the last episdoe I was all excited again :)

Post a Comment