weigh-in

i'm trying very hard not to be down on myself today, but it ain't easy... i was SO feeling good these past couple of days - i ran 5 miles last week (first time ever!) and i really made an effort to track what i was eating... so to my surprise, the stupid scale said i gained 1.2 pounds - it was liking having the air sucked out of me because i was expecting a nice loss... this is a perfect example of how you think you're doing everything right - eating, exercising, feeling thinner - and yet a piece of metal & plastic tells you otherwise... i know my body has a cycle - it took me FOREVER to get out of the 160s so now i think it's being extra stubborn at getting out of the 150s... i refuse to give up because my goal is to lose these last 7.4 pounds by april, which is my 3-year WW anniversary... it's not going to be easy but i'm looking forward to the challenge (i think)... :o)

not much else going on really - work has been quiet and the weather sucks - cold and rainy and very icey... i DID vote last night and was amazed that it only took me 15 minutes (after work) since i was expecting a bigger crowd... guess most people voted before work or during the day...

happy hump day...


Greta  – (9:19 AM)  

mm, sorry about the gain.....its one thing when you gain and you sort of expect it (crazy weekend, party, etc.) but when you did everything right and you gain....it sucks. But you have such a great attitude and look at you running FIVE miles!!! Those last 7.4 will come off.....you know those last few are always the hardest.

Kim  – (10:00 AM)  

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS on running your first five miles!!!!!! I don't know how I missed that one! It's a great feeling isn't it??

Secondly - (and I KNOW that this is easier to say than do) but screw the scale. YOU have been doing GREAT. I know it is a disappointment when the scale doesn't seem to recognize all of the hard work and effort, but eventually it will have to. Just keep doing what you know is right and the numbers will follow. I promise! Maybe you should take your measurements and see if you see the difference there. I know that always makes me feel better!! :)

HappyBlogChick  – (10:02 AM)  

d'oh, sorry the scale wasn't your friend.

Does your scale have a body fat measure? The scale body fat measures aren't perfect, but they do OK. I ask because I've found that sometimes when my weight is up unexpectedly, my body fat is lower. It's reassuring to get some kind of feedback that it really is likely water weight.

Hee hee, I guess my point is that the problem is clearly your scale, not you!

Running 5 miles - WOW. Go you!

Take One Stripper Pole  – (10:06 AM)  

Bad scale ... that was not nice of you! Do not be down on yourself ... you have done amazing things! Unfortunately set backs no matter how hard they are are part of this journey. Hugs!

Unknown  – (10:18 AM)  

Haha, it took me YEARS to get out of the 160s, so I guess I should be more patient about getting out of the 150s... but damn... I really want to!

You're right, it is metal and plastic and you're doing AWESOME!

*Bitch Cakes*  – (10:43 AM)  

I'm nearly as close to goal as you are, and I know how much you want to be there. But I'm going to tell you what I stress repeatedly and have written many blogs about - don't worry about that scale. You had a FANTASTIC week regardless. Keep that up and the scale will eventually realize it. Don't be down on yourself, it's not helpful. Just keep doing what you need to do. You'll get there. I have no doubt about it!

(PS Just to show you that I practice what I preach: I also had a "perfect" week this week and I'm up 2 pounds. But I'm ok with it. I know I did everything I needed to do and I know it will show up at the scale when it feels like. I accept that!)

Dee  – (10:51 AM)  

Man that SUCKS!! I know how it feels, but the most important thing you said is that you're not going to give up. Next week...watch out!

Future Me  – (11:21 AM)  

Bummer about the gain - but like everyone said, it truly is how you feel and the fitness gains you're making rather than the number on the scale. You ran FIVE miles! That is amazing! I bet you are gaining some muscle too in your legs, so be sure to take that into account. :)

Teresa  – (12:17 PM)  

I'm sure this is a fluke, damn scale. Please don't let it get you down. I'm sure next week's weigh in will show you the results you expect. You've got all the right moves. Bravo for the 5 mile run.

Kate  – (12:28 PM)  

Great attitude about your weigh in. Your right, you can totally get to goal by April, I know you can!

Don't sweat the gain, I'm sure it's just a funny cycle or something, and you will see an AMAZING loss next week.

pastgirl  – (2:43 PM)  

Hang in there! I suspect BitchCakes and others along those lines are right. Still, you've got every right to feel frustrated. Just don't let it derail you. And thanks for all the recent support!! It has helped!

Trish  – (3:19 PM)  

Hey we weigh the same again! We are weight twins...lol.

Hey got to laugh! We had a mini snow storm last night and the last few days have been -22 with windchill. Sunny and 'not too cold' today - yay!

You'll get to the 140's again...we just really need to have lots of good days all in a row :)

Trish  – (3:30 PM)  

P.S. New photo is cute!

Kelly  – (7:10 PM)  

i was there last week and this week it's pretty much the same. don't let it get to you.

my boyfriend made a good point. i was mad i gained a lb and he said "are you eating right?" yes..."are you exercising?" yes..."so you're doing everything you should be doing?" yes..." well then why do you care what that scale says? you're doing it the right way and you obviously feel better...so focus on that!"

it really hit home when he put it that way.

Grumpy Chair  – (7:19 PM)  

Great for you on running 5 miles!

My body holds onto 172/173 pounds so I hear you on your body wanting to hold on to the weight.

Try not to be too discouraged.

Sharla  – (7:37 PM)  

I dream of the day when I can run a mile, let alone 5, that's awesome!

Ya, the number on the scale might suck, but 5 miles, that's worthy of a happy dance!

When I worked, I hated slow days- they went on for ever.

Have a great week!

Anne  – (9:58 PM)  

Time to focus on the good, 5 miles, you are my hero!!!! Congrats!

Candace MacPherson  – (8:26 AM)  

I do love the new photo. After the run are you sure all your muscles have finished repairing. Sometimes it can take a while for them to release extra fluid. Just a thought. Way to go on the time - that's amazing. You running any marathons this year?

Anonymous –   – (9:02 AM)  

It's muscle girl, all muscle. Sometimes a gain isn't a bad thing.

Be proud of your accomplishments. Running 5 miles is fantastic. That is my goal for this year...to be able to run a 5 mile race.

MARFSBABY  – (12:06 PM)  

Don't be down hon... you ran FIVE MILES!!! You probably popeye'd out and built a bit of muscle which weighs... so lets just that explains the teeny tiny gain. Or maybe it's just water. You're doing everything right so who cares what the dumb scale says this week - next week it'll know better.

katieo  – (3:31 PM)  

Lame Lame Lame.

I have been thinking so much about my relationship with the scale. I can't seem to get along completely without it, but haven't found the perfect "balance" of how to treat it. I need it there for accountability. But also can't rely too much on it or I don't get anywhere and get caught up in the stupid numbers. As I'm recommitting, I'm really trying to look at the "metal and plastic" in the most healthy way. I just don't know what that is yet. ;)

Anyway, sorry, it's a lot easier to tell someone else, "hey! It'll show up next week, chin up, you ran 5 miles!" than it is to tell myself that... but "Hey! you ran 5 miles!"
:)

schnikita86  – (7:19 PM)  

Oh thats such a bummer. But i have a one question that might go to explaining it: how do you feel at the moment? And by that, i mean a few things:
- are you really tired?
- does it seem to take a million times as much energy than before to avoid eating extra food, or to exercise?
- are you ravenous when you first wake up in the morning, and seem to think about food all day?

Because if you most of those, then you are probably having what researchers call a "starvation response" - your body thinks you are starving, and is trying to keep you alive!

I think that what you said about the last 10 pounds being the most difficult is very very true. your body is holding on to those pounds like nothing on earth. I guess the best thing you can do to your body is be kind to it. I'm not sure what sort of eating plan you are on at the moment, but maybe relax back a little bit. You need to convince your body that you aren't starving - so that it will stop trying to hold onto those last pounds like nothing on earth. That being said - what i just said can be taken the wrong way, so it would be well worth reading a bit about some of these newly researched ideas in weight loss about how the body responds. if you go to the FAQ on www.dramandaonline.com, she has some stuff to say that may help you out!

All the best in your battle! and well done so far!

Nikki

Shelley  – (7:45 PM)  

22 comments...holy crap!

I'll say a lot of the same things as the others...it's hard to see an increase on the scale, especially when you don't deserve it.

Congrats on running 5 miles...and that might have sent a temporary rise in the scale...your body can retain water when it is recovering from a lot of intense exercise.

This is one of the reasons I am a daily weigher...so I am less surprised by the scale. I know this week my scale hasn't moved and I am okay with that. I might still lose, but I might not...but everyday, I get a little info about it. Some people get ruled by the scale when they daily weigh...I am not one of them.

Hugs to you...and as you know, the scale isn't the only thing that matters. You are healthy and fit and happy and balanced...none of that can be shown on the scale.

Hugs,

Post a Comment