TGIF

i'm glad it's friday, it's been a rough week to say the least... food has been okay, exercise has been null and void really - i WILL get back on track next week... i had a doctor's appt. this morning so i didn't get to the office til noon and even though i still have every right to use my lunch hour - i feel it's best that i don't go since my boss isn't here... plus, i left a bit early yesterday to get my haircut and i'd rather leave a bit early today since eric and i are heading to pittsburgh tonight (please no snow!)... either way, i'm just glad the week is almost over! :o)

my physical went fine this morning - he went over my blood work results from last week and said everything looked great/normal MINUS having an under active thyroid (just by a hair!)... so now i have to be put on thyroid meds and get rechecked in 6 weeks... he also said he heard a heart murmur so he wants me to have an echo-gram as well - great news for a friday, right? i've been reading up on the thyroid stuff and even though it sounds pretty common, there are still things that could be potentially serious, esp. when it comes to trying to get pregnant, being pregnant, or after having a baby... not that i'm planning on getting knocked-up soon but considering i already have the blood-clotting dissorder (which has its own laundry list), it just makes me even more worried... i know, i know, i shouldn't be worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet but i can't stress enough how important it is to me to have a family... i've known for a very long time that being a mom is what i'm meant to be - i just feel it... hard to explain...

anyway, so does anyone have an under active thyroid and if so, have you had any problems with your medication? any side effects? has anything good happened to you since you were put on meds? just curious... i've read some things that said you could lose weight but i'm not going to hold my breath... ;o)

regarding my dad, he's doing okay since being back at the nursing home... my sister said he was eating and trying to talk so that's a good sign - not sure what the doctor said so i need to call her over the weekend... i'm going out there next friday so we can meet w/a funeral home and get an idea of what to expect and what we can take care of now... they say that w/dementia that there will gradually be more bad days than good days, so we'll just take it as it comes...

my weekend will be spent in pittsburgh with eric and his family - weather might be rainy on the drive there tonight but we're hoping it will warm-up tomorrow or sunday... he's going to make his famous chili for dinner tomorrow night - always tastes better from their home grown, organic beef... :o)

sorry for such a serious post, just sharing what's going on with me... have a nice weekend, everyone... :o)


Kate  – (3:18 PM)  

Becky from Diet Coke and Zingers is dealing with the thyroid thing right now..you might want to check in on her!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Carolyn  – (3:27 PM)  

Never had to deal with the thyriod thing but I'm sure you can completely control it. I know a few people who have gone through that. I do have a heart murmur though and have since birth and it has never caused me any trouble. Except that you have to be careful with infections and getting dental work done.

Hope you have a great weekend! Good to hear that your Dad is getting better.

Sharla  – (5:21 PM)  

I felt better almost within a couple of days when I started my throid meds. Haven't had any side effects. I can tell when my level is low though as I get really cold

Have a safe trip

Sizzle  – (5:44 PM)  

I'm sorry about your worry over the health stuff. It's understandable. It's hard not to get carried away when it feels like our dream is being interrupted, you know? Try to think good thoughts because if there is a will, there is a way.

--cara  – (8:31 PM)  

we thought my husband had a thyroid problem a couple of months back. it was aweful. the medicine really messed him up. it ended up it wasn't a thyroid problem at all but the other medicine he was on was messing him up. he has high blood pressure and diabetes and he's lost almost 60 pounds in the last 9 months but his med dosages were never adjusted. it put him in the hospital for a few days. but they adjusted his meds and now he doesn't have to take the thyroid meds either. woohoo. he was practically homebound during that mess. hope you fair better!

Take One Stripper Pole  – (9:52 PM)  

No need to apologize for serious posts ... that is what blogs are for! I hope the get away this weekend brings a smile. Hang in there with your dad and the thyroid and vent to us when you need to! Hugs!

Kim  – (11:47 PM)  

Hey Jodi - My thyroid doesn't work for shit. :) I've been on meds for a few years now. I've not had any side effects nor do I feel the meds have really improved my condition either. I consider it more of a pain to have to go in for regular bloodwork to check the levels. But, it is what it is I guess.

I hope that you and Eric have a great weekend. We're supposed to get some more snow, so be careful!!

Chris H  – (12:35 AM)  

Sorry no help re: thyroid problems. Can relate to heart murmur, had one myself recently due to severe anemia... but it's not too bad. Hope your weekend goes well, you have a lot to do! Bit creepy having to suss out a funeral for your Dad!

Erin  – (9:59 AM)  

Don't apologize - we like serious posts as much as funny posts - we get to find out what is really going on with you :)

Sorry about the thyroid thing - I don't have an underactive thyroid but sometimes I wish I did so I would have a reason for all the excess weight ;)

Have a great weekend!

Amanda  – (10:39 AM)  

{{hugs}} what a week you've had. I'm amazed you STS. Over-active Thyroid runs in my family. All I know is that once you go on the meds most people are never able to come off them.

I'm sorry about your dad's health, watching my grandmother slowly deteriorate 2 years ago was absolutely heartbreaking so I have an idea how you must feel. Try to stay positive and take care of yourself.

The Price's Wife  – (7:55 PM)  

Gosh I wish I could be more help... My thyroid level was .44 and apparently anything between 4.5-.40 is considered "normal"... So my doctor isn't planning to medicate me even though I've got lots of the symptoms. Seems a bit odd to me honestly. I'm actually jealous that you get to be fixed! My doctor said that the pill pretty much takes away all of the symptoms and so if you're going to have something wrong with you, this is an easy fix... I'm actually thinking about getting a second opinion... seems to me that if my levels are that close and I'm having lots of symptoms, medication should help! And as for weight loss... my doctor said that most women do lose weight when they start taking their thyroid meds (YAY FOR YOU!)... Wish I were more help!

Teresa  – (11:39 AM)  

Hope you managed to find some time to recoup over the weekend. My ticker has a murmur too, seems to affect many people. Do hope the thyroid meds help with the weight lose. Try not to stess too much! Take care.

Hopefulloser  – (1:06 PM)  

Wow, the parallels - Just on friday I went for an echo test and had fasting blood work done too. I find out in about a week how everything went.

We're trying to get prego too so I'm getting a bunch of stuff checked out.

My heart goes out to you regarding your father.

Good luck on all fronts and I hope you had a great weekend.

Post a Comment